Every year please refresh your knowledge of computer use by reading the Technology Handbook.
Remember: You sign this document and agree to comply with it's provisions each year in order to receive a device. Miss-use can be punished with device use suspension, academic suspension, or expulsion.
To summarize these are the most important points to take away:
All Student Users
- Take good care of my device. - Do Not Mark on, Remove Rubber Feet Etc.
- Use my device in ways that are appropriate, that meet Big Sky School District expectations, and are educational.
- Never leave the device unattended.
- Never loan out my device to other individuals.
- Never share my password/logon information with anyone.
- Never use someone else's login information to use a computer.
- Always logout of my device and password protect it.
- Know where my device is at all times.
- Keep food and beverages away from my device since they may cause damage to the device.
- Do not disassemble any part of my device or attempt any repairs.
- Do not place decorations (such as stickers, markers, etc.) on the device.
- Do not deface the serial number or device label on any device.
- Understand my device is subject to inspection at any time without notice and remains the property of Big Sky School District. If BYOD the device is still subject to inspection on school grounds.
- Follow the policies outlined in the device Acceptable Use Agreement (See Additional Information Below) while at school, as well as outside the school day.
- Immediately notify building administrators in cases of theft and vandalism.
- I will be responsible for all damage or loss caused by neglect or abuse.
Additional for HS take home Users
- Charge my device's battery daily so you don't need to at school.
- I should protect my device by keeping it in a case at all times.
- I agree to return the device and power cord in good working condition.
Acceptable Use Agreement Points:
- Use devices in a responsible and ethical manner.
- Obey general school rules concerning behavior and communication that apply to device/computer use.
- Use all technology resources in an appropriate manner so as not to damage school equipment. This “damage” includes, but is not limited to, the loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by the student’s own negligence, errors, or omissions.
- Evaluate all content for accuracy and quality obtained using their device.
Help Big Sky School District protect our computer system/devices by contacting a staff person about any security problems they may encounter.
- Monitor all activity on their account(s).
- If an email or other communication is received containing inappropriate or abusive language or if the subject matter is questionable, report it to a staff person immediately.
- If you witness inappropriate use of a device such as viewing or transmitting materials that are obscene, offensive, threatening, or otherwise intended to harass/demean others you must notify a staff person.. A bystander who fails to report may be subject to disciplinary actions.
- Return the device and accessories to the designated collection point for the school at the end of each school year. Students who transfer to an alternative school, withdraw, are suspended, expelled, or terminate enrollment at Big Sky School District for any other reason must return the device and accessories on the date of termination.
Student Activities Strictly Prohibited
- Using devices for non-educational purposes during class times.
- Illegal installation or transmission of copyrighted materials.
- Any action violating existing Board policy, administrative rule, or public law.
- Sending, accessing, uploading, downloading, or distributing offensive, profane, threatening, pornographic, obscene, or sexually explicit materials.
- Use of chat rooms or websites selling term papers, book reports, and other forms of student work.
- Use of personal messaging services during school hours.
- Use of outside data disks or external attachments without prior approval from tech support.
- Changing device settings (exceptions include personal settings such as font size, brightness, etc.).
- Spamming/sending mass or inappropriate emails.
- Gaining access to accounts, files, and/or data other than your own.
- Use of the school’s Internet/email accounts for financial or commercial gain or for any illegal activity.
- Use of anonymous and/or false communications.
- Giving out personal information, for any reason, over the Internet. This includes, but is not limited to, setting up Internet accounts including those necessary for chat rooms, Ebay, email, etc.
- Participation in credit card fraud, electronic forgery, or other forms of illegal behavior.
- Vandalism (any malicious attempt to harm or destroy hardware, software or data, including, but not limited to, the uploading or creation of computer viruses or computer programs that can infiltrate computer systems and/or damage software components) of school equipment will not be allowed.
- Transmission or accessing materials that are obscene, offensive, threatening, or otherwise intended to harass/demean others.
- Bypassing Big Sky School District web filter or other security measures through a web proxy or other methods.
- Taking photos/video/audio of other students, staff or anyone without their permission. The possession, forwarding, or uploading of unauthorized photos/video/audio to any website, network storage area, or person is strictly forbidden. Photos, video and audio taken with the device are for educational purposes only.
- Students will be held responsible for maintaining their individual devices and keeping them in good working order.
- Device batteries must be charged and ready for school each day.
- Only labels or stickers approved by Big Sky School District administration may be applied to the device.
- Devices must be in a cover at all times. Devices that malfunction or are damaged must be reported to tech support as soon as possible. The school district will be responsible for repairing devices that malfunction.
- Devices that are stolen must be reported immediately to Big Sky School District and the Police Department.
- Extreme temperatures (hot and cold) may be harmful to your device. Devices should be stored at room temperature at all times.
- Comply with trademark and copyright laws and all license agreements.
- Ignorance of the law is not immunity. If you are unsure, ask a teacher or parent.
- Plagiarism is illegal. Give credit to all sources used, whether quoted or summarized. This includes all forms of media on the Internet, such as graphics, movies, music, and text.
- Use or possession of hacking software is strictly prohibited and violators will be subject to applicable state or federal laws that may result in criminal prosecution or disciplinary action by Big Sky School District.